Re: Re[2]: (PM) Power Outage and old password (fwd)

MegaZone (megazone@megazone.org)
Tue, 19 May 1998 16:56:31 -0700 (PDT)

Once upon a time Steven Freed shaped the electrons to say...
>On Mon, 18 May 1998, Adam Goryachev wrote:
>> Hmmm, do you need to switch off the generator to fill it up with fuel??
>> (like a car)
>Yeh, and just like they turn off the engines when they re-fuel miltary
>jets in flight. :-)

Sarcasm aside, there is a better axample.

Home heating oil. It is basically the same thing as Diesel, and they will
deliver it any time without knowing if your boiler is on or not. It
doesn't matter - the tank is distanced from the unit, and is sealed anyway.
Most larger generators are the same way - we're not talking the portable
Honda you camp with. Now, there are some ISPs using portable, gas-fueled
generators - those you usually have to shut down. Gas has a much, much
lower vapor pressure and flash point. You have to put some effort into
igniting Diesel. Note that many times you'll find a rig at a truckstop
fueling with their engine running. (At least I have.)

-MZ

--
<URL:mailto:megazone@megazone.org> Gweep, author, webmaster, human being, me
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men" 781-788-0130