Re: (PM) when will 3.8 be ready?

Josh Richards (jrichard@livingston.com)
Sat, 16 May 1998 01:16:19 -0700 (PDT)

On 14 May 1998, Alexander Blauvelt wrote:

> Thats nice on a final-- But how about another beta that fixes the
> apparent problem with USR 33.6s/28.8s. I've got too many users with these
> to try and walk them all the 'turn of compression' bit.

That is a problem *only* in 3.8b15, AFAIK. It is already fixed internally
and the fix will be included the next Open Beta release. If this is a big
deal for you, then don't run 3.8b15. It's that simple. If you are
running a beta and your users start complaining, then get rid of the beta.
Really, I mean that.

You must realize that b15 was the first release with v.90 code in so the
modem code changed drastically--you can't tell me you didn't expect there
to be some problems with certain modems if you decided to take a chance
and run it? That I think has been clearly emphasized.

Believe me--I've been there (formerly worked at an ISP)--it is not worth
it to piss off your customers. Although I do have to say, that the faith
you have in us (in running beta code on production boxes) is very much
appreciated. ;-) Don't start telling your customers to reconfigure their
modems, just because the beta ComOS on your PM has a bug...go back to an
official release (or at least a prior beta where you did not experience
the problem). Then report it to us to make sure we get it fixed.

Officially, it is not recommended that you run a beta release on any
production box and if you do, you do so at your own risk. Obviously, many
people do still run it on any box they happen to have lying around, and
that is fine as long as you bear in mind we always put the word *beta* in
there for a reason. :-)

-jr
----
Josh Richards - <jrichard@livingston.com> - <josh@lucent.com>
[Beta Engineer] - LUCENT Technologies - Remote Access Business Unit
<URL:http://www.livingston.com/> * <URL:http://www.lucent.com/dns/>