Re: (PM) Couldnt save.

Josh Richards (jrichard@livingston.com)
Tue, 12 May 1998 19:12:26 -0700 (PDT)

On 12 May 1998, Jake Messinger wrote:
> On Tue, 12 May 1998, Frans ter Borg wrote:
>
> > Oh yes. I didn't think of that ... but actually we had a PM2 a couple of
> > weeks ago that had only somewhere between 100 en 200 bytes free mem. And
> > it had problemens saving the configuration. So the process of saving does
> > suffer from a too small amount of free memory.
>
> This is BAD, your unit SHOULD have locked up! ;-)

Not necessarily. The "available" amount is not the entire picture of what
is really available as usuable memory. All of those smaller numbers
listed afterwards mean something too..

I've ran boxes with 4 bytes[1] free! Not recommended though of course and
most certainly not something that should happen under normal
circumstances.

[1] Unofficially, remember I'm in Beta and paid to do this sort of
thing...and so that doesn't mean this should ever happen in an actual
production box. ;-)

-jr
----
Josh Richards - <jrichard@livingston.com> - <josh@lucent.com>
[Beta Engineer] - LUCENT Technologies - Remote Access Business Unit
<URL:http://www.livingston.com/> * <URL:http://www.lucent.com/dns/>