Re: (PM) ISDN troubleshooting

Doug Ingraham (dpi@rapidnet.com)
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 21:49:18 -0700 (MST)

> On Thu, 26 Feb 1998, Scott Priddell wrote:
>
> > I am having problems with my ISDN stablility for one of my clients. The
> > configuration is using a PM2-E with a MOD10I-U board and an OR-U. I
> > followed the initial configuration as setup out in the manuals and
> > everything worked well, in testing.
> >
> > Now that we are in production I am having some problems with the reliabilty
> > of the connection. The lines keep dropping (setup for continous) and are
> > unable to reconnect, plus when looking at the ports there is a number of errors.
> >
> > What I need to determine is where the problem is, the ISDN lines, the
> > equipment, or the configuration?
> >
> > What tools can you use to isolate the problem.

We had a pop that was fed by an ISDN line in the little town of Sturgis
SD. About 2 weeks before the Big motorcycle ralley the ISDN link would go
berserk every evening about 7pm. One of the B channels would drop and I
could dial it from the other one but I could not get that channel to call
out of town. I could call it from the NOC and once I did this it would
usually come back to life. It was the strangest thing. Called in a
Trouble Ticket with USWest and after several days of head scratching the
tech saw it go down and told me the reason. They had insufficient
trunking between Sturgis and Rapid City. When it got full it would
randomly drop connections including long distance connections to allow new
ones to connect. We ordered a Frame and canceled the ISDN. The problems
went away the day after the Ralley ended and never came back before we
brought up the frame. Your problem may be completely different.

Doug Ingraham From the Ferengi Rules of Acquisition.
Rapid City, SD #34 "Peace is good for business."
USA #35 "War is good for business."