Re: (PM) OSPF and assymetric routing

Jon Lewis (jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net)
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 13:54:30 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, Scott Rosen wrote:

> The cablemodem customers dialup to our portmaster, and we assign
> them an IP address from a special pool. These addresses have been
> statically routed out to the cable headend, and then on to the cable
> system. So, from a customer point of view, all of their data goes
> *out* their analog modem, and it comes *in* via their cablemodem.
>
> This has been working fine with static routes. However, as soon as
> we turned on OSPF, the portmaster started announcing the route to

> Is there a way to tell the portmaster to *NOT* announce certain
> addresses using OSPF? Or to have it announce a lower priority? Any
> suggestions?

Different metrics was my first thought...but you're probably routing
subnets of these addresses to the cable system and the PM is probably
exporting host routes...so to fix this with metrics you'd have to have a
route for each IP address with a better metric. Much better would be to
just tell the PM not to export routes that match certain route filters.

IMO, this is yet another case of ComOS not giving the admin anywhere near
as much control over routing and route exportation as it should...or I
just don't know the commands to do it.