Re: More pet peeves (was (PM) PM3 and RJ45 with 4 wires?) (fwd)

Samudra E. Haque (haque@pradeshta.net)
Sat, 14 Feb 1998 12:31:08 -0600

MegaZone wrote:

> Once upon a time Jake Messinger shaped the electrons to say...
> >book that can get ripped up, damaged due to coffee spills, etc.. over a
>
> Funny thing is, I have books I've had for over a decade that aren't damaged
> in any way and I use regularly.
>
> >SEARCHABLE electronic database that is accessible from ANYWHERE on the
> >network that is sharing the CD?

Okay, let me share with you some thoughts.

(a) I do like on-line media, especially if it fits in my laptop CD-ROM, or
Jaz, or my
over fattened hard-disk(s). But there is a limit to the media's
capacity!!! And you
cannot fit several vendors' documentation onto the same CD-ROM or hard
disk,
easily. So the concept of a portable network-engineering library is a bit
too far fetched
for my taste. If all of them used the same standard for documentation ...
well then
we would have something.

(b) But in extreme emergencies (heh, heh, when is a network emergency not
*extreme*)
then do you have the facilities (i.e., network capability) to link back
to your home
network? By this I mean, if your POP-wan connection is out, how to you
link back to
your desktop/server library to lookup the tech manual ?

(c) Which then implies that you need to carry all of the documentation with you
always, not
books, but on-line manuals on hard disk NOT repeat CD-ROM, as you are
likely to
have only one CD-ROM per mobile unit handy!!! And they (really should..)
better be
all in HTML or if you are absolutely lucky, plain text!!!!! In fact all you
need to find
your way through a "book" is three programs:

"more"
"grep"
"print" (modified to print on page numbers).

So There!