Re: (PM) NAT Support in OR-LS, WAS:LIVINGSTON: Data Compression over FR (fwd)

Josh Richards (jrichard@livingston.com)
Fri, 13 Feb 1998 14:08:23 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Stephen Fisher wrote:

> - NAT = Network Address Translation, maps a pool of ip's to a pool of ip's

"NAT" is just a generic term that refers to the concept of having a router
modify destination or source IP addresses and/or ports within an IP packet
header. It is not necessarily a entire IP pool to another IP pool.

> - Proxy NAT = Maps a pool of ip's to one ip; re-mapping port numbers

This is incorrect - Proxy NAT is different entirely.. What you are
referring to is NAPT.

"NAPT" is Network Address Port Translation. Or "one to many" (as Jake
called it). Basically masquerading multiple private IP addresses behind
one single globally addressable IP address.

"Basic NAT" is the mapping of either a static or dynamic IP pool to
another IP pool (from usually "globally" routable IP space) of similar
size. To add to the acronym confusion, it is sometimes discussed as
"BNAT"...

"Proxy NAT" is sort of a server-side NAT, done to offload the processing
as well as not requiring NAT support on the client router.

> :) I don't, however, keep up with the RFCs...

[The IP Network Address Translator]
<URL:ftp://ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rfced-info-srisuresh-03.txt>

That is where all of this stuff is from.. Well OK, and the author of the
draft happens to work for us. ;-)

> On Thu, Feb 12, 1998 at 06:39:32PM -0800, MegaZone wrote:
>
> > Once upon a time Jake Messinger shaped the electrons to say...
> > >Will it have 1 to many support? There is a new competitor of the OR line
> > >which comes in ISDN as well, that costs less, and does 1/many NAT.
> >
> > It will do NAT and NAPT, and possibly LSNAT.

----
Josh Richards - <jrichard@livingston.com> - [Beta Engineer]
LUCENT Technologies - Remote Access Business Unit
(formerly Livingston Enterprises, Inc.)
http://www.livingston.com/