Re: (PM) Setting a "static" IP address to each modem? (fwd)

Paul White (pwhite@livingston.com)
Mon, 9 Feb 1998 10:09:56 -0800 (PST)

Actually, I need to post a follow up message.

We map "timeslot" to "s-port", which means we map 1 to 1 from DSO's to
S ports. However! That does NOT mean the Telco can not give us a
B channel on any DSO. With PRI, each user comes across a B channel.

The S ports are not exactally maped one to one on B channels.
Normally, when you set up 3 different hunt groups, it can go two
ways. You can say you want hunt group 1 to go from timeslot 1,
to timeslot 5, and hunt group 2 to go from timeslot 6, to timeslot 10.
Or, you can just set them up and the PM3 would designate between the
different hunt groups from the "Called-Station-ID" in Radius/ISDN,
sent across the D channel when assigning a B channel for the call.

Paul W.

On Mon, 9 Feb 1998, Peter Chow wrote:

> Paul,
>
> does this 1 to 1 port mapping only apply to CT1? Or is it good for PRI
> as well?
>
> We tested this with a PRI and PM3 running ComOS 3.7.2. Our telco configured
> the PRI with 3 hunt groups, each hunt group for a separate services. So
> users with accounts for hunt group #1 can't dial into hunt group #2, etc.
> Our Radius server allows us to authenticate by user name as well as port
> number.
>
> We found that the users dialing into hunt group #1 could end up on any
> S-port. And MZ confirmed that there was no static mapping between DS0
> and S-port. If what you are saying is true, does it mean I should re-run
> my tests?
>

> Paul White wrote:
> >
> > Actually, I will correct MZ incase he has not posted a follow-up.
> > The PM3 does match the DS0 with the S port. So, DS0 = S0, DS1 = S1, etc.
> >
> > It is the modems which are in a hunt group.
> >
> > Paul W.

> > > I have to admit, we've been using PM3s since they supported CT1, and I
> > > always thought that each DSO channel was bound to a specific Sx. I
> > > completely understand that the modems are assigned from the pool, but this
> > > part I didn't know and frankly I have evidence to the contrary.
> > >
> > > I can tell when channels are turned up on our CT1 by doing a "show all" and
> > > seeing byte traffic on the newly enabled channels. Any unused channels on
> > > the CT1 always have zero bytes. This is completely reliable.
> > >
> > > Am I just drawing the wrong conclusion from the data?
> > >
> > > Rob

> > 'unsubscribe portmaster-users' in the body of the message.
>
> --
> Peter Chow
> Chief Technical Advisor
> InterQ Inc.
> Tokyo, Japan
> peter@interq.or.jp

Paul H. White **** /
pwhite@livingston.com ** ** / Lucent Technologies
(800)458-9966 ext 3177 ** ** /___ Remote Access
Fax: (510)737-2110 ** ** Division
****
"Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."