Re: (PM) PM3 Caller ID

Tom (tom@sdf.com)
Sun, 30 Nov 1997 19:17:13 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 30 Nov 1997, Stephen Fisher wrote:

> > - FAX capabilites of some kind
>
> That would be easy - Lucent already has the Fax code for the chips.

That isn't the hard part. The hard part is the interface between the
PM3 and the host that is sending or receiving the FAX. What format would
a host supply a FAX in? It would be kinda cool if ComOS had lpd support,
and any tiff sent to it was FAXed out. What about inbound faxes? tftp to
a server? I dunno... lots of possibilities.

> > - bi-directional dial-on-demand (there shouldn't be a difference between
> > a user and a location)
>
> Yeah.
>
> Also things like sharing the channels (ct1/pri) and/or serial ports on
> Portmasters across a LAN or WAN to Windows and Unix machines (such as
> in.pmd does for a few Unix platforms)! Livingston says that 95% or
> whatever percent of their U.S. market are ISPs.. of course.. because what
> they make doesn't do jack for non-ISP's wanting things like dialout for
> workstations on the lan :) Also running a PM2 or PM3 as a fax server for
> example..

I work at an ISP, and I want bi-directional dial-on-demand. Dedicated
128k connections are over-kill for many customers, because they have large
periods of inactivity, but they still need to allow remote users in.
Since ISDN call-setup is so fast, most users wouldn't even know what is
going on.

I see a lot of consumer demand for ISPs that will call them on demand,
as well as outbound.

Tom