Re: (PM) PM3 Caller ID

Stephen Fisher (lithium@cia-g.com)
Sun, 30 Nov 1997 20:11:16 -0700 (MST)

[BCC: support@livingston.com]

On Sun, 30 Nov 1997, Tom wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Nov 1997, Stephen Fisher wrote:
>
> > I'm assuming that when Livingston finally supports DNIS/Dialout on CT1's
> > that when the telco sends digits it *will* work instead of screwing up
> > things like it does right now?
>
> Hehe... the PM3 really is a one trick pony isn't it? Dial-in network
> access, and everything else is weak or non-existant. Some things I'd
> like to see:

Yup.

> - FAX capabilites of some kind

That would be easy - Lucent already has the Fax code for the chips.

> - bi-directional dial-on-demand (there shouldn't be a difference between
> a user and a location)

Yeah.

Also things like sharing the channels (ct1/pri) and/or serial ports on
Portmasters across a LAN or WAN to Windows and Unix machines (such as
in.pmd does for a few Unix platforms)! Livingston says that 95% or
whatever percent of their U.S. market are ISPs.. of course.. because what
they make doesn't do jack for non-ISP's wanting things like dialout for
workstations on the lan :) Also running a PM2 or PM3 as a fax server for
example..

I think the market for things like this is worth looking into for
Livingston.

- Steve
- Systems Manager
- Community Internet Access, Inc.