Re: (PM) Unattaching from port?

Tom Fellenz (tlf@livingston.com)
Mon, 24 Nov 1997 12:33:58 -0800

At 11:44 AM 11/24/97 -0600, PM Mailing List wrote:
>On Mon, 24 Nov 1997, Ing. Felipe Tribaldos wrote:
>> Is there a way to unattach from a modem.
>> The problem is that when I hit the ^] caracter
>> this also kills the telnet connection to the PM?
>> I know that you can change the escape character in the telnet
>> client, but this is very annoyoing. I would much rather
>> have a way to unattach from the port?
>
>Hit the ^] character, when presented with the telnet> prompt, type "send
>esc" instead of "quit".

Only with UNIX based telnet application will you be able to break out of
an "attach" session with a '^]' and 'send esc'.

With MS-Windows based telnet applications (like hummingbird), you should be
dropped back to the command line prompt of the Portmaster with just a '^]'.

It really depends on the telnet application you initiated the session to
the Portmaster with. If you are connected directly to the console port of
the Portmaster, this issue is MUT. The COMOS only has a bare-bones telnet
implementation - a telnet session launched from a rs-232 console or a dialup
modem into the command line will not allow a '^]' to break out of an
attach.

Tom Fellenz