Re: (PM) SLC's, PM-3's, and GTE

David Glynn (dglynn@mathware.com)
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 16:11:16 -0600

At 03:20 PM 11/18/97 -0600, Jacob Suter wrote:
>David Glynn wrote:
>>
>> We've been having a problem lately where we've been having users that dial
>> in from a certain area getting disconnected at the same time every evening.
>> Talked to LE support, and they mentioned that telco switches can sometimes
>> play heck with certain connections when they run their own internal
>> diagnostics. Made sense to me, and I've gotten in contact with GTE, and
>> they are logging the switch, and we're comparing notes, and I think it will
>> get resolved soon.
>
>BAHAHAHA... You haven't dealt with GTE much have you?

Maybe it's the fact that the tech working on the switch is a heavy use
dial-up customer that gives me my apparently misguided optimism. I have
problems, he has problems. ;)

>THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR SLC or ANY 'REMOTE' CONNECTED LINE NOT TO GET
>KFLEX CONNECTIVITY. SLCs were DESIGNED to run in a trunk side
>environment - GTE (due to the fact they refuse to spend money and most
>of their engineers are underpaid and not kept up with modern technology)
>doesn't do this because they can get away with setting the SLC's up line
>side (ie - dual DA conversions) and they can test things with a $50
>beat-to-death linesman phone rather than setting it up correctly the
>first time and removing 90% of the problems with the lines.

Sure there is an excuse. It's "We only have to provide voice service. We're
not required to provide any guaranteed data rate on voice circuits.". Now
they can "refuse to spend money".

And i may be wrong, but my understanding of the SLC's is that you can shove
2 voice lines into one 56k circuit(or more accurately, 48 channels in a
T-1), so even if you don't have any additional A-D conversions, you're
physically limited to a 28k data path, hence, 26.4k connects regardless of
the modem used. Is that wrong?

>I get 24.0k-28.8k through a 15 year old remote (not a SLC) to a DMS-10
>which GTE claims is trunk side (I got them to switch it after a LOT of
>fighting, before this it was 16.8k-21.6k). Since switching they have
>had far less problems with the entire setup...

But no KFlex through there, right?

>> Makes me look at those old Hayes Century 2 racks we have sitting around and
>> our plans to purchase another PM-3 in a new light, if you know what I
>> mean.....
>
>If GTE plans to backslide, start writing letters to the PUC now and nip
>it in the bud.

Backsliding to what? They still provide voice service at an "acceptable"
quality, and I've never heard of anyone getting any telco to admit to any
level of service that's covered by the PUC other than that. Guaranteed
levels of data tranmission are only on dedicated circuits, from my
understanding. All our dial-up customers are using "voice" lines. Works for
voice, PUC is happy.

>> Gotta love those telcos. God help us if someone figures out how to get
>> voice traffic into their equipment using only 14k.
>
>They already do... 9.6k is PLENTY for voice (which is why I can't
>figure out ISPs aren't selling LD services on extra bandwidth).

Anyone doing this? Haven't heard of anyone diving into this yet.

David Glynn
dglynn@mathware.com