Re: (PM) SLC's, PM-3's, and GTE

Jacob Suter (jsuter@intrastar.net)
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 15:20:07 -0600

David Glynn wrote:

> We've been having a problem lately where we've been having users that dial
> in from a certain area getting disconnected at the same time every evening.
> Talked to LE support, and they mentioned that telco switches can sometimes
> play heck with certain connections when they run their own internal
> diagnostics. Made sense to me, and I've gotten in contact with GTE, and
> they are logging the switch, and we're comparing notes, and I think it will
> get resolved soon.

BAHAHAHA... You haven't dealt with GTE much have you?

> The interesting thing was when I was talking to the tech about slow
> connects he basically said that in our area GTE was looking at moving ALL
> lines over to serial line concentrators eventually, due to the demand for
> second lines. Hence, 26,400 bps max connections everywhere, irregardless of
> the modems or term servers.

THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR SLC or ANY 'REMOTE' CONNECTED LINE NOT TO GET
KFLEX CONNECTIVITY. SLCs were DESIGNED to run in a trunk side
environment - GTE (due to the fact they refuse to spend money and most
of their engineers are underpaid and not kept up with modern technology)
doesn't do this because they can get away with setting the SLC's up line
side (ie - dual DA conversions) and they can test things with a $50
beat-to-death linesman phone rather than setting it up correctly the
first time and removing 90% of the problems with the lines.

I get 24.0k-28.8k through a 15 year old remote (not a SLC) to a DMS-10
which GTE claims is trunk side (I got them to switch it after a LOT of
fighting, before this it was 16.8k-21.6k). Since switching they have
had far less problems with the entire setup...

> Makes me look at those old Hayes Century 2 racks we have sitting around and
> our plans to purchase another PM-3 in a new light, if you know what I
> mean.....

If GTE plans to backslide, start writing letters to the PUC now and nip
it in the bud.

> Gotta love those telcos. God help us if someone figures out how to get
> voice traffic into their equipment using only 14k.

They already do... 9.6k is PLENTY for voice (which is why I can't
figure out ISPs aren't selling LD services on extra bandwidth).

JS