Re: (PM) Diff betw T1-Span & Ethernet Cables?

Robert M. Gutierrez (rmg@corp.webtv.net)
Mon, 17 Nov 1997 14:18:45 -0800

Cat-5 cable seems to be the popular replacement for the old style
"A-BAM" cable of past. ABAM was very closely related to old style
Token Ring cable. Basically, it was non-twisted individually
shielded foil pairs with a ground ("drain") wire for each foil-wrapped
pair. Each pair should load up at ~110 ohms. Minumum 26 guage.
The reason for individual shields was to reject "crosstalk" characterized
as either near or far crosstalk. That's where the electrical signals
would "cross" over to the other pair, causing all sorts of errors
(timing signals, bi-polar errors ["bipolar violations"], etc).

So now, with the advent of twisted-pair wire, where adjacent electrical
signals cancel themselves out due to the twists (how many per foot
matters), individually shielding wires became moot, and Cat-5
became as good as ABAM in short runs.

Telco's still use ABAM cables, where bundles are foil-shielded within
the central office. Twisted pair has not taken root as it takes up
precious conduit space. Once outside the c/o, the pairs are seperated
as far apart as possible along the run (but newer technologies like
HDSL have brought that engineering design need way down).

T-568B wired Cat-5 cables (which is the standard for so-called 10baseT
cables) work perfectly as the pairs for T-1 wiring (1+2 and 4+5) match
the twisted pairs in the scheme.

p.s.. Don't use T-568A wired cable (or god forbid, RJ11/RJ14 wired
cable). The twisted pairs will not match up. You will rarely
find this wiring scheme anyway outside of a computer network
environment anyway.

p.p.s.. If you are planning on a long run (500+), I'd consider using
ABAM cable of greater guage (like 24 or even 22). I did a 600
foot run on 22 guage ABAM (special ordered) for the INET
conference in a hotel in San Francisco, and the signal was
nice and clean. It's much better to over engineer than to
deal with the errors in the end equipment.

rob.