Re: (PM) ComOS 3.7.2 and Reboots

Kelley Lingerfelt (pm2e@cococo.net)
Mon, 17 Nov 1997 16:54:49 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 17 Nov 1997, Internet Technical Support wrote:

> I am new to this list, so forgive me if I am posting a repeat problem. I
> have also been having a problem with "Phantom Reboots" since ComOS 3.7.1. We
> were having the "Exceeded LAPM retransmit" problems that 3.7 was having and
> we didn't see the "Phantom Reboot" problem until 3.7.1. However, it was VERY
> rare. We have actually seen the rate of "Phantom Reboots" increase since
> ComOS 3.7.2! Has anyone else seen this? Also, we were having problems with
> another PM3 (ComOS 3.7.1c1) that would indicate that all was well (As
> indicated by the "show modems" command and all modems were in the "Ready"
> state) but when a user dialed the PRI phone number, the modems would not
> respond. Rebooting didn't help and I actually had to go to the location and
> turn the unit off, then back on and it would work fine. I haven't had the
> problem since upgrading to ComOS 3.7.2. Anyone else have this problem?

We have a similar problem, at one of our remote POPS. Occasionally we
will have a PRI failure, and the PRI line will go into NO-SERVICE
condition as indicated from a show sessions command. Rebooting the PM3
will not solve this problem, we have to turn the unit off, before it will
reset the PRI. According to Bell South it has something to do with the
distance we are from the CO at the remote site. Even though the PM3 is
sending reset signals the CO can not see them. They said something about a
ground loop, and because of the distance, we have to actually power down
the unit to get out of this condition. The last time it happened, they
tore down the circuit at the CO and put it back together, that was close
to the terminology they used, but it didn't do any good. As soon as we
powered down and powered back up, we were OK. We are going to get an addon
module for the UPS, that will let us turn off individual circuits on the
UPS and then turn them back on.

Question to LE, why do we have to power down, shouldn't a reboot,
simulate a power down as far as the PRI line is concerned?

Later
Kelley