Re: (PM) Viva CommCenter-56slm

Doug McClure (dmcclure@infi.net)
Fri, 14 Nov 1997 13:54:08 -0500

Welcome to the LT 56k Winmodem problem. This LUCENT (Mars?) chipset based
modem is in a ton of OEM / retail line PC's. To name a few I know about:
HP Pavillion, IBM Aptiva, Sony, Toshiba, and Compaq. We've had a lot of
difficulty getting any upgrades as well. I did help out a user in
comp.dcom.modems who had an LT 56k Winmodem in his Sony PC get upgraded
with the upgrades for the HP Pavillion modems. Info is located here for
these LT 56k Winmodems:
http://www.hp-at-home.com/main_p/Hp-at-home/service/56kmodem.html or go
here for the actual upgrade:
http://www.hp-at-home.com/main_p/Hp-at-home/service/k56/lucnt415.exe

With this upgrade, he got his Sony LT 56k Winmodem connecting at 46k.
YMMV! It's a tough call to have someone use a different upgrade on their
modem. Be careful!

Our TS is going to beat up CPI over upgrades for their CPI and ViVa lines.
I don't know who's making all the others. Maybe LE needs to beat up their
new owners to get a generic upgrade for us?!

HTH,

Doug