Re: (PM) USR modem <-> PM3 problems still? (fwd)

Stephen Fisher (lithium@cia-g.com)
Wed, 12 Nov 1997 20:12:56 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 12 Nov 1997, MegaZone wrote:

> Once upon a time Stephen Fisher shaped the electrons to say...
> >USR modems. From testing with 28.8k (as per ati3) and 33.6k (as per ati3)
> >USR Sportsters I have noticed that both start slowing down, freezing, and
> >disconnecting within 5-10 minutes in V.42/LAPM mode. They are connecting
>
> Note that USR *DOES* have a bug. We can't do anything about it. This
> has been discussed and admitted to on comp.dcom.modems. I believe their
> latest code fixes this, but there are a lot of Courier and Sportster
> modems out there with botched V.42 code. And it will cause problems.
> This has been reported with other vendors too, not just Livingston.

Do you have any idea what the date/version on that new code is? We have
TONS of USR modems in luser's computers because they're almost all systems
like Gateway 2000 and Dell who all use stupid Telepaths/USR Sportsters.
Ugh.

> There is no way for us to work around it on our end without breaking
> V.42 for non-broken modems.

Ok.

- Steve
- Systems Manager