Re: (PM) Problems Connecting

Bob Bloise (bbloise@trellis.net)
Wed, 12 Nov 1997 10:25:10 -0500

> On Wed, 12 Nov 1997, Gail A. Harless wrote:
>
> > Here's a strange one. I have a customer who has considerable
difficulty
> > connecting in the morning, but in the evening everything goes fine. In
>
> That IS strange. Are you MORE or LESS busy then?
>
> > the morning, he gets messages like that he has gotten disconnected from
> > the computer he has dialed is not answering. He is the only customer
who
> > has written me about such a problem. Any ideas?
>
> Try to marrow it down to see if its on certain modems or lines.
>
> > We have a Portmaster-2e with Microcom 33.6 rack modems. I don't know
what
> > kind of modem he has. But given it's just a time of day problem, I'm
not
> > sure our modems or his modems is an issue.
>
> That just sounds too strange.

I have had similar problems at times. On a few of them I was able to
determine that at certain times some machinery or whatever was being
started up somewhere that was effecting the phone lines. It was causing a
"power influence" problem on the phone line. The customer's phone line had
a very distinct 'buzzing' (60 Hz) that would get much louder during the
times when they had the disconnection problems and also when they were
trying to log on it sometimes would not authenticate. At other times of
the day or night the line would get quiet and it would work ok.

Good ole GTE, gotta luv 'em.

Bob