Re: (PM) Quake Problems!!

Stephen Fisher (lithium@cia-g.com)
Mon, 10 Nov 1997 16:57:43 -0700

On Mon, Nov 10, 1997 at 02:20:34PM -0800, OWT Tech Support wrote:
> >Which ComOS are you using? They keep releasing more and more fixes for
> >these types of problems. If you are running 3.7.2 and still having
> >problems, please open phoned in trouble tickets with Livingston.
>
> We're running 3.7.2 but since NO-ONE except our quake players are seeing
> the problems, it's really hard to quantify. I've been tempted to open a

It's still a problem though - or seems to be - with the PM3.

> ticket with LE, but I can't substantly PROVE the problem. It seems to be
> random. What is a worse pisser is that when it DOES retrain, a "show m3" or
> whichever, shows NO retrains, NO renegotiates... hmmm?

How do you know it is retraining?

> >Aah indeed. Is it worth getting for users other than Quake and other game
> >players?
>
> I think so, since I've used it for a while for both web/quake. However,
> since the PM3 prevents you from using LAPM (or is it V42bis?) with STAC,
> you have to put an init string fix on the CLIENT side to take advantage of
> the STAC compress.

I've always been taught that using compression on another type of
compression (such as arj'ing a zip file) will do no good and sometimes can
even make the file bigger than the original compressed version.

> >> These steps have created a hefty bandaid for the problem, so let's hope
> >> it's solved, like the "admin modems" problem in 3.7.3.
> >
> >3.7.3 isn't even released. You mean 3.7 and 3.7.1? The ADMIN bugs and
> >DOWN bug are totally fixed in ComOS 3.7.2.
>
> DOH! It was a "hopefull" statement.... I HOPE to see the fix in 3.7.3..

Aah.. the problems with your Quake users? Open a ticket with Livingston -
perhaps others are experiencing this problem too. Even if it isn't a
problem with the PM3 in particular they could probably point you to what is
wrong.

--
 - Steve
  - Systems Manager