Re: (PM) OR-U: no default route to learned IP address? (fwd)

Stephen Zedalis (tintype@exis.net)
Sun, 9 Nov 1997 09:30:11 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 8 Nov 1997, Tom wrote:

> The OR-U is SOHO product. What is the point of running OSPF on just
>ether0? How many small offices need OSPF on their LAN?

Its not the office but the ISP that needs OSPF on the ether0 interface.
So you make your point moot, if the office doesn't need OSPF, why are you
so concerned about passing it via the PTP link? There are other ways to
establish a proper default to the far end.

Just pass the default via RIP. Or point to a gateway router on the ISP's
side, ie. IF the ISP's router address is on an ethernet and the route is
known via PPP (w/proper netmask) you can point at the ISP's core router as
the gateway, then it shouldn't matter which OR the customer dialed in on.
Or use ip reported on all your dialin OR's. There is provided at least 3
workarounds here. Realize that this is an "office router", it is designed
to plug one office to another or office to ISP. (those are relatively
fixed situations) I'm sure there are very few situations where you don't
have a clue as to where the default route should go. AND if that isn't
enough, Livingston is working on a fix in 3.8, so get off it already.