Re: (PM) Netstats not good

Stephen Fisher (lithium@cia-g.com)
Sat, 8 Nov 1997 01:20:48 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 7 Nov 1997, David Edwards wrote:

> Just noticed that my netstats on my PM3 aren't looking too good. Guess
> I'm starting to pump too much through the hub I have. Would you agree?

> pm3> sho netstat
> Name Ipkts Ierrs Opkts Oerrs Collis Resets Queue
> ether0 976272 1796 1011842 3 573189 8 0

Ouch.. according to above, 573,189 collisions out of 1,011,842 packets
sent you are getting a 56% collision rate! Over half of your packets sent
out of it caused a collision with another packet. You should keep it
under 1% or so :-) Also you don't want Ierrs or Oerrs or resets very
often. Here is my PM3 on a switch:

Livingston PortMaster PM-3 ComOS 3.7.2
System uptime is 3 days 10 hours 27 minutes

Name Ipkts Ierrs Opkts Oerrs Collis Resets Queue
ether0 3051256 0 3009560 0 27271 0 0

That's a 0.91% collision rate: ((collis / opkts) * 10) = % collisions.

> Would you think its time for a switch instead of the hub I have now?
> Any recommendations on low cost - high performance switches?

I like the Cisco Catalyst group of Ethernet switches. Check
http://www.cisco.com for more details.

- Steve
- Systems Manager
- Community Internet Access, Inc.