RE: (PM) D Channel Callback Feature and PM3 (fwd)

Phil Taylor (Phil@lansystems.co.uk)
Mon, 3 Nov 1997 16:02:14 -0000

> ---------

After a lifetime of having a conservative government in the UK we are
definately used to being treated like s**t (g) but hey we aren't really
in Europe ;-)

To be perfectly honest we are finding that if someone requires this sort
of functionality then their usage is often going to be in excess of
about 4 hours a day anyway which is the benchmark we use to start
recommending they upgrade to a leased line. Maybe we are luckier in the
UK with all of these telco's to choose from but the pricing of a 64K
leased line tends to be comparable with about 4-6 hours a day of local
calls on a single ISDN B-channel.

> D Channel CallBack is an essential feature in Europe
> because of the outrageous pricing we have on leased lines.
> And because of the Radio Frequencies Limitation enforced
> by the different governement of Europe.

As far as D-Channel Call-Back is concerned I would certainly like to see
the feature in ComOS but from an ISP's perspective it can be implemented
partially at the client side without any changes required to the PM3, I
know this doesn't address Heiko's point about teleworkers where they
would want a callback FROM the PM3 but as an ISP I don't have much use
for this feature anyway, and neither would I suspect do most other
ISP's.

-- BITS ABOUT STUPID GOVERNMENTS CUT (we all know they're stupid anyway)
----

Cheers

Phil