(PM) Re: LPM reboot

Andy Doolittle (andy@server.livingston.com)
Mon, 3 Nov 1997 07:42:41 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 25 Oct 1997, Jacob Suter wrote:

> <QUOTE>
> From: Margaret Brandt <mbrandt@massmed.org>
> Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 20:55:04 -0400
> Subject: Re: LPM reboot
>
> I have inherited an antique, I know. But we're about to change
> everything
> over to NT so they are not about to invest any money in this 2 year old
> LPM. I've got to work with what I've got. Any suggestions?
> </QUOTE>
>
> #1 - Livingston software upgrades are free..
>
> #2 - Obviously the people with the purse strings should be beat over the
> head with something durable, the PM2 itself should work perfectly (it
> has good weight and it makes a nice noise). The unwillingness to spend
> money on an access server and waste (yes, NT is a waste) money on
> Microsloth products should be a crime.
>
> Thanks
> Jacob Suter
> Intrastellar Internet Service
>
> PS - I love rebooting my NT box from a blue screen every 5 hours... I
> don't bother anymore and just leave it off..

Actually, the Dr Watson reset program was such a big hit we're working
on a BSOD reset. Just need one of those CUCME camera's pointed at the
screen and plugged into your average PortMaster serial port. Then when
we detect the BSOD, we short out the power leads in the PM, and after
someone resets the circuit breakers NT reboots. It's working pretty
well so far, but we're looking for beta sites 'cause the database people
are getting pretty pissed ...

Oh, yeah, 8-) (do I even need these anymore?)

andy
++++
In Redmond, no one can hear you scream ...

My opinions, of course, are my own, unless they were given to me by my
employer.

Andrew Doolittle - Sr. Engineer Livingston Enterprises
email: andy@livingston.com vmail: (800)458-9966
smail: 4464 Willow Road, Pleasanton, CA 94588