(PM) Re: PM3 queries, some help needed (fwd)

Andy Doolittle (andy@server.livingston.com)
Mon, 3 Nov 1997 07:55:58 -0800 (PST)

On 21 Oct 1997, Chris Adams wrote:

> MegaZone <megazone@livingston.com> wrote:
> >Once upon a time Mark Kent shaped the electrons to say...
> >>Feature: I'ld like to be able to reset s0, s1 etc. interface stats
> >> without rebooting.
> >It would violate SNMP to allow this. And we're focusing on expanding SNMP
> >support. Adding a second set of counters is under consideration.
>
> You don't need a second set of counters to do this. You just need a
> "reference" number to subtract from the counters when you display them.
> The normal counters always count up from 0 (so you can do SNMP okay) and
> when someone wants to "reset" the display counters, you just store the
> current value somewhere. When they display that counter again, you take
> the (unreset) counter and subtract the saved "reset" value (which
> defaults to 0).
>
> Much easier (and less mess and work) than multiple counters. Only
> affects the display functions.
> --
> Chris Adams - cadams@ro.com
> System Administrator - Renaissance Internet Services
> I don't speak for anybody but myself - that's enough trouble.

What you probably want to be able to do is (more or less) randomly reset
counters for each viewer. It doesn't make sense to do that on the box -
4 telnets plus up to 10 pmconsoles makes for a lot of reference numbers.
Fortunately (oh God, here he goes again 8-) Amber will provide the
capability to reset counters on its monitor screens.

andy
++++
In Redmond, no one can hear you scream ...

My opinions, of course, are my own, unless they were given to me by my
employer.

Andrew Doolittle - Sr. Engineer Livingston Enterprises
email: andy@livingston.com vmail: (800)458-9966
smail: 4464 Willow Road, Pleasanton, CA 94588