Re: (PM) Livingston manager spamming!

Karl Denninger (karl@Mcs.Net)
Sun, 2 Nov 1997 13:50:11 -0600

On Sun, Nov 02, 1997 at 11:34:44AM -0800, Damien T. wrote:
> At 10:45 PM 11/1/97 -0800, Dave Overton wrote:
> >If one more "US Robotics Representative" calls me pitching x2 I am going to
> >scream, Mike's letters are MUCH easier to deal with. Even if I do get it
> >twice....
>
> Heh! Yeah, during the last call I received the woman was explaining to me
> how USR owns 70% of the desktop modem market. When I explained that
> Rockwell chipsets were in more than 70% of the modems manufactured, and I'd
> never heard of USR having 70% market share, and I'd like to know where she
> was getting that number, she said she'd research that information and fax it
> to me. Never did receive that...just a bunch o' product datasheets. I'll
> have to call her back on Monday and ask her to back up her 70% claim...else
> I'm calling Janet Reno <g>!
>
> >Why is it that I only answer the phone 2 or 3 times a day, and its always a
> >salesman? And the front office wonders why I never answer the phone....
>
> And I'm glad it's not just me. Does your intercom ring with the phrase
> "Line 3 is for you, and it sounds like a sales guy..." as well? Heh!
>
> Damien

No, our call processing system takes the name and organization of the
caller, plays it for me, and then I have three options:

1) Take the call (by pressing a button)
2) Dump it to voicemail (by hanging up the phone)
3) Disconnect the caller (by pressing a "bite me" button)

Unsolicited sales calls get either (1) with a short "bite me" answer, or
(3). People I know who I can't talk to right now get (2).

I need one of those portable boat airhorns (you know, the freon types) for
the salesdroids - one burst in the telephone ought to get the point across
that I'm BUSY and consider telemarketers to be in the same category as pond
scum.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service
			     | NEW! K56Flex modem support is now available
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| 56kbps DIGITAL ISDN DOV on analog lines!
Fax:   [+1 312 803-4929]     | 2 FULL DS-3 Internet links; 400Mbps B/W Internal