Re: 56k modems (fwd)

Brian Kramer (bjkramer@pluto.njcc.com)
Sat, 23 Aug 1997 14:10:36 -0400 (EDT)

The PM3 has to deal with all sorts of modems. That's its job.
I can't expect it to deal with obscure modems, but USRs it's got to.

On Sat, 23 Aug 1997, Jon Lewis wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Aug 1997, Brian Kramer wrote:

> > So we're just sol wiith the new modems who perform much worse
> > then the old when it concerns maintaining connections?
> >
> > I've got a lot of pissed off customers because the modems stink.
> > I can't beleieve you guys didn't test it with all the variety of
> > usrs sporsters at least.

> Impractical. Do you have any idea how many different varieties of
> Sportsters there are? I have 2 externals of different ages sitting at
> home unused because something's up with either my phone line or the one I
> use at work, and suddenly spiral death syndrome has revisited me. I
> connect at 24000 or 26400 and after a day or so, I'm at 12000/4800. I've
> gone to using a Microcom DeskPorte FAST (ancient v.FC model) and it's
> maintaining 21600/21600, but occasionally disconnects (but I have pppd
> -persist:). The modem at the FDT end is a Suckster 33.6.

> The point of all this is, there are lots of crap modems. Just because the
> new PM3 modems don't deal well with some crap modems doesn't make them
> crap.

> Jon Lewis <jlewis@fdt.net> | Unsolicited commercial e-mail will
> Network Administrator | be proof-read for $199/message.
> Florida Digital Turnpike |
> ______http://inorganic5.fdt.net/~jlewis/pgp for PGP public key____

Brian Kramer - Owner/Systems Administrator - bjkramer@pluto.njcc.com
New Jersey Computer Connection - Internet Service Provider - pluto.njcc.com
Voice: 609-896-2799 - Fax: 609-896-2994 - Dialups: 609-896-3191 & 896-2722
Web: http://www.njcc.com/ Telnet/Dialup: pluto.njcc.com login as guest.