Re: SNMP beginner

John-David Childs (jdc@denver.net)
Sat, 26 Jul 1997 16:46:33 -0600 (MDT)

On Sat, 26 Jul 1997, Joe Hartley wrote:

> I'm setting up an SNMP monitoring tool (scotty/tkined), and I'd like to be
> able to monitor ports on an IRX-114 to see if they're maxing out their
> bandwidth.
>
> Since I'm a rank beginner at this, I'm not sure what variables available to
> me in the MIB are what I want to monitor. Pointers to this and suggestions
> on other helpful variables to monitor would be greatly appreciated.

Use MRTG (http://www.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg) and use the
cfgmaker program. It'll do most of the work for you.

Since you've already got scotty, find the sbrowser.cgi program in the
distribution to WALK the MIB-II SNMP tree via the web. Also, if you're
running ComOS 3.5.1b17 or higher, download the latest Livingston MIB and
put it in your /usr/local/lib/tnmX.XX/mibs directory so you can walk the
Livingston Enterprise MIB (lets you see lots of statistics/usernames/etc
that you currently have to telnet to the PM/IRX to see. Make sure to read
the scotty docs on how to add additional MIBS (you have to edit init.tcl).

Note: make sure to read the Livingston docs on setting up SNMP. Since it
only does SNMPv1, make sure to use an unusual readcommunity string and
limit the hosts that can query your IRX. Even at that, SNMPv1 is not very
secure, but it's better than nothing.

--

John-David Childs (JC612) @denver.net/Internet-Coach System Administrator Enterprise Internet Solutions & Network Engineer 901 E 17th Ave, Denver 80218 "The other day I put instant coffee in my microwave oven ... I almost went back in time." -- Steven Wright