Re: PM (Cisco) Packet Filtering - MAC? (fwd)

Stephen Fisher (lithium@cia-g.com)
Sun, 20 Jul 1997 00:44:29 -0600 (MDT)

On Sat, 19 Jul 1997, Justin W. Newton wrote:

> >We don't filter on MACs. I don't think Cisco does, but I'm not positive.
>
> Can't you hard code MAC addresses into the PM? I am relatively certain

No.

> that the cisco can do that, although I haven't had a need to do so. You

Yes, the Cisco can.

> couldn't filter based on MAC address, but you could assign a MAC address
> to a specific IP address and then filter based on IP address. For extra
> IP's on the subnet, simply assign a nonexistent MAC address, and they
> would be unusable.

Good idea. The ability to delete arp entries on a Portmaster was asked
for by me and others a while back and I threw in the idea of being able to
manually add them too but the person I was speaking to said there isn't
much need.. well neither option has been implemented so far. :)

- Steve
- Systems Manager
- Community Internet Access, Inc.
- Gallup and Grants, New Mexico