Re: where is the price list? (fwd)

John Temples (john@kuwait.net)
Sun, 20 Jul 1997 12:46:25 +0300 (GMT)

On Sat, 19 Jul 1997, MegaZone wrote:

> Once upon a time Jake Messinger shaped the electrons to say...

> >Can INTL companies have .com, .net, .org?

Sure. Only .edu, .gov, and .mil are restricted to US organizations.
(And .edu might no longer have that restriction.) Note item 3f of the
domain template, "Country Code." As MegaZone pointed out, there's
absolutely no mapping between domain names (or IP addresses, for that
matter) and physical location. As an example, there's a
www.kuwait.army.mil which is physically located here in Kuwait. Are
they eligible to download Netscape's 128 bit products?

I really don't understand why anyone would be upset about international
customers seeing Livingston's "US prices". Anyone anywhere can just
send an email to a distributor in the US to find out how much something
costs. We buy all of our Livingston equipment directly from US
distributors anyway. If Livingston equipment were available locally
(it isn't), we'd be expected to pay a 100% markup on it, and I wouldn't
need a web page to know that.

> Yes. Some TLDs are worldwide. And some foreign companies have a US
> domain. I really don't know the legal loops for pulling THAT off, but I
> have seen it.

The RFC says, "Any computer in the United States may be registered in
the US Domain" -- I don't see any exclusion based on who owns that
computer. Have you seen US domain computers which are physically
outside the US?

--
John W. Temples, III       ||       Providing the first public access Internet
Gulfnet Kuwait             ||            site in the Arabian Gulf region