Re: PM (Cisco) Packet Filtering - MAC? (fwd)

Justin W. Newton (justin@priori.net)
Sat, 19 Jul 1997 22:17:16 -0700

At 09:39 PM 7/19/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Once upon a time Doug Westervelt shaped the electrons to say...
>>That's what I wanted to know. Does the PM or, for example, a Cisco 2501
>>have access to the MAC or have an arp table where the MAC can be compared
>>to the IP address?
>
>We don't filter on MACs. I don't think Cisco does, but I'm not positive.

Can't you hard code MAC addresses into the PM? I am relatively certain
that the cisco can do that, although I haven't had a need to do so. You
couldn't filter based on MAC address, but you could assign a MAC address to
a specific IP address and then filter based on IP address. For extra IP's
on the subnet, simply assign a nonexistent MAC address, and they would be
unusable.

This is not going to help for hosts on the same subnet, but that problem
could be solved with a switch.

Justin W. Newton voice: +1-415-482-2840
Senior Network Architect fax: +1-415-482-2844
PRIORI NETWORKS, INC. http://www.priori.net
Legislative and Policy Director, ISP/C http://www.ispc.org
"The People You Know. The People You Trust."