Re: [Q]: NAS-Port-Type = 56K perhaps? (fwd)

Curtis Coleman (curtis@pangea.ca)
Thu, 17 Jan 1980 20:18:54 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 16 Jul 1997, MegaZone wrote:

> All modems, including 56K, will show as Async.
>
> You need to check Connect-Rate (under Livingston servers anyway, it is
> a server specific attribute based on the data from Connect-Info).
>
> I don't know if other servers will have anything equivalent.

You know, what would be really cool would be a way to set a maximum speed
as a RADIUS pair. If the initial connection is 56K and the RADIUS profile
limits them to 33.6, negotiate down. If the connection is in progress for
a 33.6-limited user, deny negotiating up above 33.6.

Not that I've decided to put these sort of caps on my users, but I'm sure
it's been floating around in the minds of a lot of ISPs here. If its only
possible to have a check item for the initial connect rate, some smart guy
out there is doing to figure out how to trick his modem into establishing
at <33.6 and negotating up later in the connection.

Might as well take advantage of the tight integration between the modems
and the rest of the chassis.

Curtis