Re: Ascend 75 connection problems

Al Hopper (al@logical-approach.com)
Mon, 14 Jul 1997 18:22:10 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 14 Jul 1997, James Shelburne wrote:

> I know that I'm just missing something simple here but here it goes:
>
> I'm trying to set up an Ascend 75 for a customer. Just to test if the
> connection works I'm manually dialing out from the connections "table". It
> dials and connects to the portmaster fine but apparently nothing is said
> between them (I turned on PPP debugging and saw nothing) and it is
> eventually disconnected. When I turn on ISDN debugging see this:
>
> S28: Sending Request Connect - 64Kbps / Data (B1 ID:146)
> S28: Received Connect - B1
> S28: Sending Disconnect Request
> S28: Received Disconnect Ack
> S28: Received Call Clear
>
> ?!?!?! :)

Most likely a password problem - it does not showup on the ISDN debug
screen. If the Ascend is setup for CHAP make sure that the PM global
parameter to enable CHAP is set:

PM>sh gl

PPP Authentication: PAP: on CHAP: on

A good starting point for password related problems is to set password to
PAP everywhere you find it on the P-75 and set the user/password = the
P-75 name (on the Configure screen) everywhere it appears as an option.
This will get you up & running. You can always revisit the user/password
and change it in one place at a time to make sure that it still works.

Email me offline if you need further assistance.

signed: Willing to help a fellow Pipeline sufferer!

Al Hopper Logical Approach Inc, Plano, TX. al@logical-approach.com
(972)-379-2133 or (972)-849-5765. Fax 972-379-2134