Re: PM3 stopping?

Tom Samplonius (tom@sdf.com)
Tue, 8 Jul 1997 23:16:57 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 8 Jul 1997, Jon Lewis wrote:

> As long as I'm off topic, here's an RFE for PM's. They don't support
> reject routes yet, do they? While installing gated on my linux boxes, I

I would like to see a null interface that you could give an address, and
then add low-priority/high-cost routes. Kinda like:

set null0 address 10.1.1.1
add route 198.53.215.0/24 10.1.1.1 15

It should be easy to add a null interface, just like an ether0, or w1
that doesn't do anything. This solution is also generic, and can be used
to build lots of useful setups.

> No more routing loops or bunches of ICMP redirects for unused dialup IPs.

Well, Livingston is working a specialized version of this for
dynamic address pools. Unfortunately, it will not have the flexibility of
the null interface idea.

> Jon Lewis <jlewis@fdt.net> | Unsolicited commercial e-mail will
> Network Administrator | be proof-read for $199/message.
> Florida Digital Turnpike |
> ________Finger jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net for PGP public key_______

Tom