Re: Modem disconnects phone

Sherwood Portmaster-List (livingston@iav.com)
Sun, 6 Jul 1997 05:40:33 -1000 (HST)

On Sun, 6 Jul 1997, beverly j. moore wrote:

> Help! Whenever I use my online service, then disconnect, my entire
> phone service goes out. In order to reestablish another connection, or
> to use the telephone, the only thing that works is removing the phone
> plug-in from it's wall jack, then re-inserting it right away. I can use
> the phone as often as I like without going through this ritual, but the
> modem seems to shut it all down. I've had the phone line
> checked...A-OK, and bought a new phone (not a cordless)...but still
> experience this problem. Thanks in advance for any help.
> Beverly

Couple of things to check:

1) is this the right list... ;)
2) what os?
3) what dialing program
4) if win95 is the correct modem type selected?

this mostly points to the modem is _NOT_ hanging up... rather it's just
holding the connection and still merrily communicating away, though no
program is accessing it. The last thing to check is if the modem is
broke.

If you can go into a terminal window and issue:

+++ath0

And then the modem returns an OK and the phone line frees up, this would
point to an incorrect modem string setting....

*ugh* what am I doing up at 5:40AM on Sunday?!!??

Good weekend all!

--
Aloha from Paradise,

Sherwood