Re: need Mail HUB or not

Miquel van Smoorenburg (miquels@cistron.nl)
4 Jul 1997 21:32:20 +0200

In article <199707041901.MAA16731@livewire.comsec.net>,
Damien T. <damient@livewire.comsec.net> wrote:
>At 08:54 AM 6/27/97 -0500, you wrote:
>>
>>A bit off topic but important...
>>
>> Yes a mail hub will be easier. You also need to set a MASQUERADE_AS
>>entry. In your sendmail.cf you will also neeed a cw entry for each of your
>>virtual domains...
>
>While we're off-topic with sendmail issues, I'm very interested in hearing
>from anyone who is able to handle e-mail for many 'virtual' domains and has
>found a way to keep spammers from using the box to relay their crap to the
>far corners of the Internet. Someone on the list recently had such a
>problem, and now that we've experienced the same thing, I wish I'd paid
>better attention <g>! I suspect this will become an ever-increasing problem...

I've patched sendmail to supply a new internal map, with which you
can check if a RCPT address is one you MX for. That's enough to keep
people from using you as a spam relay, and you don't need any additional
administration for all your domains. I've submitted it to the sendmail
maintainers and hope that it gets included in sendmail 8.9

It's at http://miquels.www.cistron.nl/nospam/

Mike.

--
| Miquel van Smoorenburg |  "I need more space" "Well, why not move to Texas" |
| miquels@cistron.nl     |  "No, on my account, stupid." "Stupid? Uh-oh.."    |