Re: PPP Lock-ups

Sherwood Pekelo (spekelo@iav.com)
Sun, 27 Apr 1997 09:55:39 -1000 (HST)

[for support, is there a known difficulty with the problem presented
here?]

On Sun, 27 Apr 1997, Dusan Janjic wrote:

> As much as anybody I hate "me too" but here it is:
>
> On Sat, 26 Apr 1997, Nick Johnson wrote:
>
> > We have a few users who are experiencing a problem that has me
> > befuddled. After connecting for a seemingly random amount of time, the
> > user's internet connectivity comes to a halt, although the modems remain
> > connected. Attempts to alleviate the problem by modem configuration
> > changes and MTU/MRU settings have failed.
>
> can you ping them? What are they using? What ComOS do you have? What
> product are you using PM2 or PM3 or other?
>
> Same problem as above. No you cannot ping them, most of the users
> with this problem are using Win95, it happend to a few game players,
> it also happend to me downloading some files. We are using PM3.

Ugh, as typical, I remember a post about quake playing users, who seemed
to have this problem, but have lost that post... I'm beginning to wonder
if the PM3 is getting poisoned by some string that causes it to 'hang' a
port... or a wait for a lost response or ACK from the client's machine.

> > I noticed in searching the mailing list archives that others were having
> > some problems with this in the past. Was this issue ever resolved or was
> > a solution ever proposed?
>
> Yes, people have had different problems... mines is a user's Supra getting
> disconnected to a PM3 with ComOS 3.5.1b8... can't follow up on this yet,
> until I contact the user and have him bring in the modem...
>
> Ours are similar same Com OS, with the difference that our
> disconnections are happening mostly with Global Village modems
> and users using MAC-s. Is there a chance your Supra user is also a
> MAC user?

Which Global Village modems? Most times I drop the BAUD rate of the
dialler to eliminate overruns on the clients end... seems that the GVs
don't handle well, so the Gold version shouldn't have higher than 19200 in
the Mac PPP dialer...

Just a thought...

--
Aloha,