Re: PPP Lock-ups

Neal Rigney (neal@pernet.net)
Mon, 28 Apr 1997 01:18:48 -0500 (CDT)

I've seen this lock-up behavior on ALL terminal servers we've had: two
FreeBSD boxes, Ascend(Max 4000), 2 pm2e-30's, and Telebit. What appears
to happen is that the windows box(win95 only) loses track of where packets
are supposed to go. I've had this happen to ME numerous times. If you
have an externl modem(or your user does), this problem manifests as no
transmit going out on the modem. If you ping the W95 box, packets go in,
but no reponse is generated. More to the point, no response is sent to
the modem. I get the feeling that a response is generated at the TCP
layer, but never gets through to the PPP layer.

This problem is VERY repeatable, and is ALMOST ALWAYS resolved by
disconnecting and reconnecting. Occasionally, hoever, the entire Win95
stack stops working and has to be un/re installed.

Just my $.02.

--
Neal Rigney, PERnet Communications, (409)729-4638
neal@mail.pernet.net