Re: What do the db levels Mean

Jeffrey J. Mountin (sysop@mixcom.com)
Thu, 24 Apr 1997 23:36:40 -0500

At 04:30 PM 4/24/97 -0700, Paul M Mockett Jr wrote:
>My first CT1 from MCI always had these levels, and my current 3 CT1
>lines from USWest do too. Should I be complaining to USWest to get
>these levels raised, or do I need to shorten my cat5 cable run from
>the current 30 feet to something closer?

Isn't 50 feet the limit? A recent T1 customer had almost 100ft of CAT5,
which didn't work, but I finally asked... duh!

>Also, could the receive level be contributing to the Lost-Carrier problem
>people are experiencing (including us: 34.8% when using 3.5.1b11,
>but only 5.1% when using 3.5.1b8)?

What I wonder about is the "Normal Modem Disconnect" reason in the logs.
On several occasions our techs have checked the logs after they were
disconnected, ie dropped, and found this reason.

I don't consider dropping the connection normal, at least for most brands
of modems. 8-0

Jeff Mountin - System/Network Administrator
jeff@mixcom.net

MIX Communications
Serving the Internet since 1990