Re: Resubmit dB level

Beth Montes (bmontes@iland.net)
Wed, 23 Apr 1997 15:07:14 -0500

At 02:26 PM 4/23/97 -0400, you wrote:
>In my original posting I mistiped an address, here is my original
>question:
>
>MegaZone wrote:
>>
>> Once upon a time Kelley Lingerfelt shaped the electrons to say...
>> > Receive Level: +2dB to -7.5dB
>>
>> This looks normal.
>>
>> > Receive Level: -7.5dB to -15dB
>>
>> These look abnormally low - that would be from the telco.
>>
>> -MZ
>> --
>Interesting,
>
>when I talked with the tech guy at Livingston about this, and asked him
>specifically about that exact dB level, he said that there is no reason
>for concern and we shouldn't worry about it. I am wondering if that
>explains the sudden loss of carrier and drop of connection for some of
>our users.
>
>Can someone help me by telling me what exactly do I need to ask my telco
>to do, to improve this. Any help would be gratly apreciated.

I went through this dog and pony show with Livingston also. We
"solved the problem" by having the telco create a 7.5 dB buildout
on our line. That changed our receive levels from -7.5dB to -15dB
to +2dB to -7.5dB.

But that had absolutely *no* effect on our problems of carrier loss,
inability to establish connections, and slower-than-analog transmission
speeds with some users. We found that USR modems (prevalent in our
area) especially don't work well with the PM3. Many USR users (Couriers,
Sportsters, current 28.8/33.6 modems that work flawlessly with our
other hardware) were entirely unable to establish and/or maintain a
connection. This is a known problem that Livingston is addressing.
We're waiting for a fixed version of the modem code, which will be
included in some future beta release of ComOS. I believe that this
problem only occurs with those of us using CT1 rather than PRI.

Can anyone at Livingston comment on any progress in that area?
I'd like to return our PM3 if it's going to be a while. That's a lot
of $$$ to have sitting on a shelf in a remote POP.

BTW, the USR TC that we put in place last week to replace the PM3
is working flawlessly. It was a bitch to configure (especially since
they left out most of the docs, the CD-ROM, and the lovely TC
Manager SNMP app), but it can sure establish and maintain
connections to anything! Maybe I don't want to ditch my MP/16s
quite yet....

Beth

Beth Montes I-Land Internet Services
bmontes@iland.net http://www.iland.net