Re: computer not answering in 95 (portmaster-users)

Muditha Gunatilake (muditha@seychelles.net)
Wed, 23 Apr 1997 21:27:42 +0400

Craig Brown wrote:

> At 09:54 AM 4/23/97 -0400, you wrote:
> >> I've been having a problem lately with Win 95 dial-up networking connecting
> >> to a PM-3. What happens is that the client will dial, the modems will
> >> handshake normally and then 95 will pop up an error message that "the
> >> computer you are dialing is not answering". It's not incredibly widespread,
> >> and all the customers that are having this problem on the PM-3 do not have
> >> the same problem dialing into our old analog modem bank. Both our analogs
> >> and PM-3 are on CT1s. Has anyone else experienced this problem or does
> >> anyone have any suggestions for where to start for debugging it?
> >
> >I've seen the same problem with an additional twist....sometimes these
> >calls receive a busy signal. I haven't figured it out yet. However,
> >over time these problems seem to disappear without any intervention-- or
> >maybe these customers just are not articulating a problem.
>
> I've not seen this twist yet. I have seen the problems first hand tho, and
> have tried nearly every trick that I could think of to resolve it. Many
> times I do see a problem where the dial sequence is completed then the modem
> comes back with a dial tone. This is quite common here even among systems
> that do work reliably.
>
> My thought is that either the PM-3 or some particular modems don't handle
> the 28800 negotiation exactly to standards. On some of the problem systems,
> I can establish a 14400 negotiation to the PM3 just fine and not a 28800,
> but can get 28800 negotiation to analog modems. Admittedly, a good deal of
> these modems that are a problem are a bit proprietary, either combo
> sound/modem cards or built by a manufacturer expressly for their machines.
>

> >> I personally think it's a 95 problem, as occasionally the problem can be
> >> cured by either creating a 2nd dial-up connection and connecting with that,
> >> or by deleting the modem driver and reinstalling it.
> >
> >How often does this resolve the conflict? Has it reappeared on
> >instances that have worked?
>
> I can't give much history on this cure as this problem is extremely new.
> This usually fixes the problem I'd estimate about 65% of the time. So far,
> every time this has fixed the problem, I've never seen it reappear.
>
> The really odd thing, through hyperterm I can talk directly to the port and
> about 80% of the time get connections just fine, but if I try to talk to the
> modem per 95's driver, either in DUN or hyperterm it fails. That's why I
> think it's something flakey with either 95 or the modem driver, or both.
> Also, it seems that the 2nd release of 95 is somewhat more prone to these
> problems, IMO. I wonder if there is some way that 95 could mis-interpret the
> result code being sent from the modem and see a CONNECT as something else?
> Or is there something with the PM-3 that could cause the client modem to
> return an odd result code? On one system that comes to mind I got a CONNECT
> [...]

I have pm-2e with comos 3.3 and I have quite a few people experiencing
this problem some more than the others. MY clients get either the
message "dial up netowrking could not negotiate a comaptible set of
network protocols please check you settings...blah blah blah " or the
computer you are dialing is not answering. I have tried a million and
one things but nothing seem to give me a exact solution. But what I have
notice is reseting the portmaster seem to solve the problem for couple
of days. Please try this out and see if it works!!! If so get back to me
then I will know that it is a portmaster problem!!!

--
Muditha Gunatilake

Phone:304060 email: muditha@seychelles.net mbh3gpa@afs.mcc.ac.uk muditha@creole.seychelles.net :-)