Re: Token Ring Networks (fwd)

Thomas Neumann (tom@smart.ruhr.de)
22 Apr 1997 08:16:14 -0000

Jacob Suter writes:
> > You may want to look at an IBM 8229 bridge. These units can "bridge"
> > betweeen T/R and ethernet with no problems. We are doing that now with a
> > PM2e with BRI ports. Expensive solution, but if you do T/R, nothing is
> > cheap!
>
> ultra cheap:
>
> 386DX/something with 8 megs ram and 150mb HDD space.
>
> I believe Linux has Token Ring compatability.. FreeBSD *doesn't*
>
> basically a standard system with a PCI NE2000 and a Token Ring card and
> route not unlike a mofo :)

Been there, done that. Works like a charm, but beware that Linux
supports only a very limited range of Token Ring cards. Basically,
it wants to see an ancient, vanilla IBM 16/4, but the newer and
easier available IBM 16/4 TURBO can also be used when sqeezed
into a 16/4 "ISA16" compatibility mode and Plug'n'Pray turned off.

-t