Re: Ascend MAX4048 and MAX4060, What do they cost?

MegaZone (megazone@livingston.com)
Mon, 21 Apr 1997 23:21:45 -0700 (PDT)

Once upon a time Tim Flavin shaped the electrons to say...
>This was taken from http://www.ascend.com/pressrel/press126.html, does
>anyone have list prices yet?

A few users tell me it is priced almost exactly the same as the PM-3...
Personally I find it very interesting that the PM-3 has been selling like
mad and now there are these units from Ascend that are almost identical in
configuration for about the same price. Someone threatened? ;-)

>high-density WAN access switches that integrate high-performance digital
>modems with a router and a remote access server. These high-powered WAN

I'd like to see the HW stats - I don't see any product info pages up yet on
these. They sound like a 4002/4004 chassis with two sets of traces
unpopulated to keep it down to only 2 PRI/T1/E1 connections. It certainly
would be a fast way to turn them - and would be able to use the same cards.

>an architecture that will also meet their growing needs in the future. And
>with the simple addition of Ascend's Remote Networking Software, the MAX

Is there a charge for this simple addition?

>The MAX 4048 has one V.35 and two T1 WAN interfaces and 48 Series56
>digital modems, while the MAX 4060 has one V.35 and two E1 WAN interfaces
>and 60 Series56 digital modems. The MAX 4048 and 4060 come standard with

I wonder how these are? 6 x 8 or 4 x 12? Or even 3 x 16? I presume
5 x 12 for 60.

3 x 16 would probably be the lowest overhead cost - one PCB, etc. Just more
chips on one card. So that would (all other things being equal) give the
highest margin. It is what I would do in that case.

Otherwise I would hope it is 4 x 12 - presuming other cards from the MAX line
work in this unit, having open slots is nice.

>channelized T1, E1, or ISDN PRI trunk interfaces. Each product supports up
>to 48 or 60 concurrent access channels that may be comprised of V.34 or 56
>Kbps analog, 56/64 Kbps Frame Relay, or ISDN BRI. This enables ISDN or

I wonder if they meant ISDN B channels? Or does it support the BRI S/T cards?
If it does, then doesn't that reduce the number of modems? And make the PRI
ports superfluous?

Also, the PR says this comes with RADIUS - I expect that is their free RADIUS
and not AAS. And recently on their mailing list they said the free RADIUS
would not be kept up to RFC spec, that only the commercial server will be.

Also, I believe their firewall filtering code is extra.

What do people think of this?

---cut---
The Series56 Upgrade Program has been revised to include two parts:
the Standard Upgrade and the Rebate Program. The Standard Upgrade
is intended for those customers that received equipment shipped prior
to November 1, 1996.

Old 8 modem card to 56K 8 modem card $4,400 $3,250
Old 8 modem card to 56K 12 modem card $5,700 $3,800
Old 12 modem card to 56K 12 modem card $5,700 $2,850
Old 12 modem card to 56K 16 modem card $6,800 $4,800
Old TNT modem card to 56K TNT modem card $24,000 $12,000

The Rebate Program is intended for those customers
that received equipment shipped after November 1.

Note that the modem serial numbers for the units shipped after November 1
are equal to or greater than 642XXXX. MAX-Up Customers are eligible for
this program. MAX-Up eligibility will be determined by the serial number
of the chassis. It must be greater than 642XXXX.

Description Upgrade: Rebate: Net Upgrade:
8 modem to 8 modem upgrade $3,250 $1,200 $2,050
12 modem to 12 modem upgrade $2,850 $1,200 $1,650
TNT modem upgrade $12,000 $2,400 $9,600

The Series56 Upgrade Program, the Standard Upgrade and the Rebate Program,
will end on November 1, 1997. All Modem Modules must be received at Ascend
by December 31, 1997 to receive credits or rebates.

All orders should be placed through the usual channels. The channels will
have the details of this program including how to obtain the rebate.
--cut---

$12,300 for someone with new cards in 6 x 8 format to upgrade? Ouch.
At least it is 'only' $6,600 for those with 4 x 12...

$256.25 and $137.50 per modem respectively.

People with old cards have it rough - 6 x 8 means $19,500! That is more
than a new PM-3 or even MAX 4048 (if what I hear is right)! $406.25 a port!

And 'only' $11,400 for 4 x 12... $237.50 a port.

-MZ

Phone: 800-458-9966 510-737-2100 FAX: 510-737-2110 megazone@livingston.com
Snail mail: 4464 Willow Road, Pleasanton, CA 94588