Re: PM3 and BGP

Jeffrey J. Mountin (sysop@mixcom.com)
Sun, 20 Apr 1997 11:21:05 -0500

At 12:19 AM 4/20/97 -0500, Tim Flavin wrote:
>On Sun, 20 Apr 1997, Jon Lewis wrote:
>
>> I was looking at prices the other day wondering when we'll be able to
>> afford $10k-$15k for a Cisco 4500M or 4700M, and wondered if the PM3 is
>> about to support BGP, how capable a multihoming router would a PM3-2T be?
>> By multihoming, I don't mean routing multiple subnets to ether0, thought
>> that may be necessary...I mean 2 T1's to 2 NSP's speaking BGP to each. Or
>
>There is a new line out from Cisco, the 3600's that are expandable, use a
>beefy CPU and can take from 64mb in the 3620, to 128mb in the 3640. The
>3620 has 2 expansion slots, where the 3640 has 4. Each slot can contain 2
>T1 sync ports along with an ether interface. There are other card for PRI,
>async, bri and others (Damn, no HSSI)

The other thing I see is upgradeability, which just like the 4000 series
they only work with that shell.

IMHO, the 720x is a better long term investment.

Of course a PM3 that could do it would be far cheaper and much less of a
headache to order, upgrade, etc... 8-)

Jeff Mountin - System/Network Administrator
jeff@mixcom.net

MIX Communications
Serving the Internet since 1990