Re: 56000 reported in auth request?

Sherwood Pekelo (spekelo@iav.com)
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 06:27:27 -1000 (HST)

On Thu, 17 Apr 1997, Todd Vierling wrote:

> It's been a while since I've been on the list, just 'cause we've had PM2e's
> working their reliable butts off for a while. Now, it's time for the PM3,
> and I need to ask (so I don't have to run lengthy debug dumps of radius auth
> requests):
>
> Does anyone already know if the PM3 sends the connect speed along with the
> NAS-Port-Type in an auth request? With the upcoming K56flex, we don't want
> to offer this at the same price as, say, 33.6k async, since the bandwidth
> difference is dramatic.

First, PM3's aren't shipping with K56Flex yet, so.... this will be hard to
say, unless you're in engineering at Livingston.. 8) But, current output
of the RADIUS log:

Thu Apr 17 06:18:01 1997
Acct-Session-Id = "05000AC8"
User-Name = "dreamer"
NAS-IP-Address = 207.24.9.111
NAS-Port = 3
NAS-Port-Type = Async
Acct-Status-Type = Start
Acct-Authentic = RADIUS
Called-Station-Id = "5381212"
Service-Type = Framed-User
Framed-Protocol = PPP
Framed-IP-Address = 207.24.9.230
Acct-Delay-Time = 0
Timestamp = 861293881

And current output of show mo (note that's an o as in oh)

Mdm Port Status Speed Compression Protocol Calls Retrain Disconnect
--- ---- ------ ----- ----------- -------- ------ ------- ------------
M0 S0 ACTIVE 26400 V42BIS LAPM 332 4 NORMAL
M1 S1 ACTIVE 14400 V42BIS LAPM 375 0 NORMAL
M2 S2 ACTIVE 28800 V42BIS LAPM 299 2 NORMAL
M3 S3 ACTIVE 28800 V42BIS LAPM 285 0 NORMAL
M4 S4 ACTIVE 24000 V42BIS LAPM 271 0 NORMAL
M5 S5 ACTIVE 26400 V42BIS LAPM 272 2 NORMAL
M6 TEST UNKNWN NONE NONE 235 0 NORMAL
M7 READY UNKNWN NONE NONE 173 4 NORMAL
M10 READY UNKNWN NONE NONE 140 1 NORMAL
M11 READY UNKNWN NONE NONE 141 1 NORMAL
M12 READY UNKNWN NONE NONE 104 3 NORMAL
M13 READY UNKNWN NONE NONE 98 0 NORMAL
M14 READY UNKNWN NONE NONE 69 0 NORMAL
M15 READY UNKNWN NONE NONE 56 0 NORMAL
M16 READY UNKNWN NONE NONE 37 2 NORMAL
M17 READY UNKNWN NONE NONE 24 0 NORMAL
M20 READY UNKNWN NONE NONE 30 6 NORMAL
M21 READY UNKNWN NONE NONE 27 1 NORMAL
M22 READY UNKNWN NONE NONE 19 2 NORMAL
M23 READY UNKNWN NONE NONE 13 0 NORMAL:

and on and on...

There probably is a kludge in the short term, but I think calling up sales
to ask support for the feature you are asking for would be the best step,
grab a ticket.. 8)

> MZ/Livingston, is there some other upcoming way to differentiate K56flex
> from standard modem async calls at auth time? (If not, WILL THERE BE?) Our
> current evaluation of PM3 to install at all our sites very much hinges on
> this ability.

How about denying users on that particular PM3? Setup a 'special' number
for them to dial into? Then you won't tie down the PM3 with slower
connections and maintain a current setup for those on a cheaper price
tier. You can market this as the '3l33t' users modem pool.. oops IRC
habit showing through again...

--
Aloha,

Sherwood