Re: [RFE] Re: PM3 modem configuration commands?

Jeffrey J. Mountin (sysop@mixcom.com)
Mon, 14 Apr 1997 02:25:41 -0500

At 11:20 PM 4/13/97 -0600, Stephen Fisher wrote:

>This isn't currently possible with the PM3. This has been requested
>before, let me RFE it right now:

Thought it was a few months back? And I thought that LV was going to look
into or work on this. Not enough demand?

>I am asking Livingston if they would consider adding two additional
>configuration commands for each modem in the PM3.
>
>-> One would be called something like "set m0 floor [baud rate]" where you
> could set the lowest baud rate to allow calls at.

This I see as very desireable. Some v.34 modems seem to forget that they
*should* negotiate and not retrain. Retrains can drop to 2400 and scale up
(at least this is usually just a "speed shift"), but I like the lowest
possible rate at 9600, which helped a few users with v.34 throwbacks that
use v.32bis retraining. So much for using the code improvements in v.34.

Retraining is bad and if there is a large range of speeds, it makes it all
the likelier that the connection will drop. There aren't many of these,
but pre-built systems are renowned for their cheezy modems.

Also I don't want to deal with 2400 baud modems. I'd rather not allow them
to connect than explain, but when they sign up they are asked and we can
even give them a 14.4.

>-> The other would be called soemthing like "set m0 ceiling [baud rate]
> where you could set the highest baud rate to allow calls at.

Not sure what use this would be, unless there are problems with the lines
and that should be taken care of with a phone call.

>I would think this would be easy to implement, and quite a few people have
>requested such functionality.

What I would like to see a white paper on is what the equivalent settings
are for the digital modems, but mind you I only slightly miss the AT&V. ;-)

Jeff Mountin - System/Network Administrator
jeff@mixcom.net

MIX Communications
Serving the Internet since 1990