Re: A Dummy question about PM3s

Marty Likier (marty@livingston.com)
Fri, 11 Apr 1997 10:16:52 -0700

At 11:34 AM 4/11/97 -0400, Curt Eckhart wrote:
>>There are 2 models. PM3-1T or 2T. You guessed it. The 1T can handle one
>>T1/CT1/PRI the 2T accomodates two T1/CT1/PRIs. In either case the rear
>>panel has 6 slots for the digital modems. They come in two flavors, 8 or 10
>>DSPs (modems) per card. So 6 times 10 gives you a mximum of 60 modems per
>>chassis. Dial-up support includes analog modem 2400-33.6Kbps, ISDN 64K,
>>ISDN 56K, ISDN 56K data-over-voice.
>
>What good are 60 modems when there's only 2 PRI's coming in? How can
>more than 47 calls be handled ? Tell me what I'm missing here.

The reason behind 60 modems is that outside of the USA, many countries
employ E1 trunks (as opposed to T1). E1's provide 30 data channels, hence
30 times 2 = 60. However the PM3 will register any number of modems up to
60 in the READY modem pool. So even if you have 2 PRIs using T1 trunks, a
data capacity of 46 data channels, any modems installed over 46 will be
treated as hot stand-by modems. Meaning they are registered in the pool and
are avialable in the unlikely event a DSP (modem) fails or is taken out of
service.

--
Marty Likier
Product Marketing Mgr.