Re: Port stuck in USERNAME

James Blanding (j.blanding@edgenet.net)
Tue, 08 Apr 1997 02:00:54 -0400

Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 22:42:24 -0500 (CDT)

>On Mon, 7 Apr 1997, Ryan Cashin wrote:
>
>> Case in point of "you don't really pay attention 'til it happens to you"
>>
>> I know there has been a lot of discussion on it...
>>
>> What is the 'fix' for a port stuck in USERNAME.

<SNIP>
in my experience (pm-2e(r)'s and analog modems), if you reset a port that
someone is dialed into, their connection will be dropped, but the modem
will remain off the hook and the carrier will still be up (or is the
correct term "high", i get that and dtr confused :P). after doing a 'sho
session' the port will display USERNAME, and it will not go away. if you
just try to reset it via the command line, the pm sends the init string,
but doesnt receive the responce its looking for (ie "OK") from the modem.
if you then do a 'sho s#' you will see that the modem status is 'Not
Configured.' an immediate fix is:
1) attach to the port
2) issue "+++" and wait for OK (put the modem in command mode)
3) send "ath0" and wait for OK (drop carrier)
4) unattach (detach, whatever) from the port
5) reset the port normally

i made a script to do all that but it still requires you to enter multiple
commands (ie changing the modem script defined for that port, reseting the
port, changing the script back). id LOVE a better solution if there is one
though ;)