Re: USR Lowers Pricing (fwd)

Stephen Fisher (lithium@cia-g.com)
Sat, 5 Apr 1997 01:54:43 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 4 Apr 1997, MegaZone wrote:

> Once upon a time Jonah Yokubaitis shaped the electrons to say...
> >oh really? You think that AMD cpu and 72pin ram and siemens
> >controllers and analog devices DSPs are something special? Its the
>
> HOW the components are laidout is more important than what the
> components are. I could give someone a bag with all of the pieces, off
> the shelf, and tell them to build a comm server with it. That doesn't
> mean you'd get a PM.

I fully agree, the hardware is a BIG part of it.. Livingston has very
smart engineers from what I've noticed :) You have to design it WELL - it
isn't child's play.

> >Its the SOFTWARE! (Did I say this before?)
>
> The software is NOT everything. The software is only part of it. We
> could probably port ComOS onto a competing product, but I doubt it would
> perform as well because our HW design is a very important part of the
> equation.
>
> Software without good HW is meaning less, so is the reverse.

Yes, ComOS is very powerful as well, and this is integral to the excellent
stability and performance we get out of Portmasters. Again, excellent
engineers/programmers.

P.S. Did I mention they had excellent techies? (And everyone else,
while I'm at it:>)

- Steve