Re: USR Lowers Pricing

Sherwood Pekelo (spekelo@iav.com)
Fri, 4 Apr 1997 15:48:09 -1000 (HST)

On Fri, 4 Apr 1997, Kyle Platts wrote:

> >redundant power supplies and hot-swappable PRI cards? as well as
> hot-swappable DSP cards? All with heat generation and size of maybe a
> small refrigerator?
>
> >It think the risk was implied in an OC-3 solution... one cable one HUGE
> point of failure...
>
> Actually, OC-3 has to be delivered on SONET facilities, hence you just
> set it up for redundancy from the getgo. A working and a protect path
> on the mux.

Kyle,

sorry I was a little unclear....I wasn't particularly pointing to the
cable itself, well cut the cable with a backhoe and it'll still die ... ;)

More so the interconnect to the box is my point of contention. Where if
your OC-3 interface dies the whole box is then a nice office heater...
whereas with multiple PRIs one interface down doesn't kill the whole use
of the box.

Though I still would LOVE to be able to say I have 672 lines in one
box.... ;) who knows, I can dream or is it fantasize? hehe

--
Aloha,

Sherwood