Re: HOW ABOUT A CLI entry line built into PMCONSOLE?

Jeffrey J. Mountin (sysop@mixcom.com)
Fri, 04 Apr 1997 19:33:31 -0600

At 08:38 AM 3/31/97 -0700, Doug Ingraham wrote:
>On Thu, 27 Mar 1997, 0000-Admin(0000) wrote:
>
>> Telnet is insecure to say the least. We've had people snoop
>> our PM passwords and then go and turn off filters at their
>> leisure.
>
>How do they snoop it without access to the local ethernet? It shouldn't
>be possible to snoop ethernet traffic on a dialup if you have things set
>up properly.

>From what I understand, you should not be able to sniff the network with
just a PPP connection, at least that was the impression I was under from an
old discussion of this. With no filtering at all, but you want filters of
course for other reasons.

Still need to watch or segment things for the servers and I have my very
own segment. 8-)

Jeff Mountin - System/Network Administrator
jeff@mixcom.net

MIX Communications
Serving the Internet since 1990